The first German settlers on the territory of modern Bashkortostan appeared in the 17th century as a part of Ufa garrison. The first Western Europe experts (mainly Lutheran Germans) came to our land nearly three centuries ago due to extraction and processing of natural resources, specifically copper. The most extensive migration of German settlers to Ufa Governorate coincides with the period of Stolypin Agricultural Reform. The 1897 census shows that German population in the Governorate slightly exceeded one thousand. Fifteen years later it equaled already 4 thousand people. In 1810 a Lutheran Church (Kirche) was erected in Zlatoust. In one hundred years, in the year 1910, an Evangelical Lutheran parish appeared in Ufa. At the beginning of the 20th century a major Ufa manufacturer of construction materials Feck, a German himself, decided to build a cult Lutheran building in Ufa. Obviously, the project was initiated by his wife, who was engaged in charity work. The first construction materials were brought to the site in 1900. The first service was carried out in ten years. The building made of the red brick was donated to the parish.
The Kirche on Samarskaya (currently Belyakova) Street is a one-storey brick building with iron roof. It was the second Lutheran Church in the Governorate. The Church was opened upon the consent of Governor Klyucharev, after his visit to the church. The first ceremony was carried out by Samara pastor von Engelhard.
In full compliance with the Lutheran doctrines Ufa Kirche had strict forms ascending to Gothic and Baroque architecture. Buttresses with plain pinnacles are simply stylization without any function of support as opposite to Gothic architecture. Ingenious archivolts above the windows are not keel archs, but simply a stylization, which resembles Russian Revival style of Moscow State Department Store, rather than Gothic architecture. The unknown architect was so enthusiastic about his neo-Gothic (even brick neo-Gothic) project, that his work sometimes resembles a very elegant sample of the so-called brick style. Nevertheless, the building looks massive and natural.
The interior decoration of the Church was modest and simple: three icons, harmonium, benches, wooden and copper-nickel utensils. The clergy was comprised of one pastor. The parish consisted of Russified immigrants from Germany and Baltic countries (95 Germans, 26 Latvians, 12 Estonians and 1 Russian), that is why the service was carried out in three languages: German, Latvian and Estonian.
The Kirche site was chosen properly. Samara-Ufa railway was opened in 1888 (two years later it was extended to reach Zlatoust), after that a lot of new people came to the city. These people settled majorly in Severnaya Sloboda between Ufa and Sofronofskaya Berth. This settlement appeared during the construction of the railway.
The war with Germany and Austria-Hungary did not affect the activity of the Church or the so called Austrian Old Believer Community. In October 1927 Evangelical Lutheran Religious Community concluded a contract about free and unlimited use of the building. But already in 1930 the contract was terminated, allegedly, because the building was not repaired. The Community Chairman Margarita Linke was accused of negligence and brought to trial. The Church was given to a plant. For a long time the building was occupied by the Soviet Regional Product Trading Organization. Several years ago they wanted to erect a business center at the site, but eventually in 1992 the building was given back to the community. The Decree of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic put the Kirche under state protection. Now more than 500 Ufa citizens visit the Church.