The neighboring quarter of Ufa Theological Seminary was occupied by a whole town of the Religious Boys School. The town on Gogolevskaya Street was surrounded by the stone wall with high fencing and included the major building, dormitory, bath-house, hospital and sports ground.
Ufa Religious Boys School was opened in 1818 and coincided with the reorganization of Ufa Seminary. It substituted three primary classes of the seminary. Initially it consisted of a parish school and a district (uyezd) school, with each of them having two classes. Upon graduation from the parish school students entered the district school. The course consisted of catechesis, sacred history of the Old Testament and New Testament, ecclesiastical rules, Russian and Slavic grammar, Greek and Latin languages, geography, arithmetic, calligraphy and liturgical chant.
In 1840 Ufa Religious School was reorganized. Instead of the four classes it was divided into three departments: lower, middle and higher with a two-year course in each department. Besides, a new subject was introduced: Russian civil history (concise course).
In 1873 the three departments were transformed into five classes, including the reception class, with one-year course in each class.
The same year Ufa Religious School, which shared building with the Seminary, was moved to Parulina’s House, located at the north-western corner of the intersection of Khanykovskaya and Ilyinskaya Streets (now Gogolya and Validi Streets). Ufa clergy purchased the house from the Cathedral. Soon, though, the house turned out to be too small for the school. In 1881 upon the request of Eminent Nicanor the Holy Synod devoted funds to erect a new building of the school. In 1879 the construction started under the supervision of a special construction committee and architect Kondruntsev. The bricklaying was assigned to contractor Semyon Larionov, carpentry was assigned to Kosma Khayev. In September 1884 the school was moved to the new buildings. The major building featured late Classicism style. It is interesting that the inner façade coincides with that of the external façade, which is not at all common. In 1891 the school was surrounded with the stone wall. Besides, along the Khanykovskaya (Gogolya) Street the school was fenced with a garden.On October 1, 1885 Eminent Dionysius consecrated the Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki Church. The school church was equipped through the donations made by merchants Stakheev and Chizhov. Stakheev purchased an iconostasis, whereas Chizhov bought icons from Moscow and all the necessary holy vessels, books and sacristy.
In 1909-1910 the school had four departments and three libraries: fundamental library, students’ library for state classes and a library for parallel classes. The school also had a dormitory, but due to insufficient size of the dormitory many students lived in private houses.
In order to entertain students before every Sunday the school arranged reading sessions and magic lantern shows featuring religious, moral, historical and patriotic content. Every Christmastide the students had a Christmas tree, choir singing, children’s games, book reading, sweets and presents. In winter the school yard was equipped with an ice rink for skating and an ice-hill for sledging.
The school curriculum also featured gymnastics and marching drill to promote physical development of the students.
During the First World War the major school building was occupied by the barracks and military hospital. The school year was shortened to 3-4 months, and lessons were given in the building of Ufa Diocesan School for Girls.
In August 1919 Ufa Governorate Revolutionary Committee closed the school. For some time the building was occupied by the Agricultural College. In 1940 the facility was given to Timiryazev Pedagogical Institute, which was moved from the building of the former Real School on Aksakova Street. The garden was removed, whereas the road way along the Gogolya Street was occupied by the facilities of Kirov Plant.
In 1957 Pedagogical Institute was reorganized into the Bashkir State University. Currently the building of the former Religious School is occupied by the biological department of the Bashkir State University. In mid 1970s a third storey was added to the building.