In accordance with Ufa reference book of 1908 house No.24 on Gogolevskaya Street belonged to Varvara Ginevskaya, wife of Pyotr Ginevsky, a city head in 1906-1908. The one-storey wooden house with a mezzanine facing the yard, elongated facade and two front doors (which is quite unusual for such buildings) was erected after 1860. The house had an orchard, a well with a sunshade and lantern, and a carriage house. It was separated from the Pushkina Street with a fire wall, which was demolished in 2005.
We may see it on the photos that its design (probably it was a conventional project) was characteristic of the time being: almost no carving and windows framed with plain boards. Later the house was considerably modified: entrance doors were decorated, whereas windows were fitted with carved frames. The latter mirrored the frames of the opposite house No.21/1 (it is on record that house No.21/1 was reconstructed around 1930). It is impossible to define the architectural style of this building neither before nor after the reconstruction. The project's author is still unknown.
In early 1880s in the address calendars and reference books of Ufa governorate nobleman Ginevsky was mentioned as a member of Ufa governorate zemstvo assembly and member of the local zemstvo board. He was the author of the "Book of the Activities of Ufa Zemstvo in the Recent Quarter of a Century. 1875-1900". His son Viktor (1884-1937) was a leader of Ufa governorate organization of socialist-revolutionary party. In March-October 1917 he was a chairman of the Ufa Soviet of Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies, member of city Duma. In summer 1918 he became a city head. At the same time the Committee of Members of the Constituent Assembly appointed him a plenipotentiary of Ufa governorate.
After the revolution the house was municipalized and used as a child care facility. In 1923 poet Mazhit Gafury (Gafurov) celebrated the 20th anniversary of his creative activity. He was awarded the title of Bashkir people's poet for outstanding contribution and the Republican government gave him the former house of the Ginevskys. The poet lived there more than ten years. Bashkir and Tatar poet and prose writer Mazhit Gafury (Gabdelmazhit Gafurov) was born on July 20 (August 1), 1880 in Zilim-Karanovo village of Sterlitamak region. He came to Ufa from his village on foot to study in Usmania Madrassas. But the pauper young man was simply turned out of doors, and Mazhit went to the neighboring Madrassas in Kiishki. He studied in the Madrassas of Troitsk and Ufa. He came back to Ufa as a famous poet. Gafury was first published on the eve of the 1905 revolution, and these events were reflected in his poems and stories. In 1905 he participated in the students riots in Kazan. Subsequently his books were confiscated on numerous occasions, whereas the poet himself was under police supervision. In Ufa Gafury and his family lived in the house of his teacher and friend, a prominent religious figure and educator, initiator and rector of Galia Madrassas Ziyaetdin Kamali on 89 Nikolskaya Street (nowadays M. Gafury Street). On May 4, 1923 in the days of the poet's anniversary this street was named after M. Gafury.
Gafury worked as a proof-reader in Vostok typography (this building on the corner of Karl Marx and Pushkin Streets has been recently demolished after the fire). When in 1913 a classic of Tatar literature Gabdulla Tukai came to Ufa, Gafury was the only one to welcome him in the city.
After the poet's death in October 1934 his family continued living in the house. In 1948 part of the house No. 28 on Gogol Street (house number was changed) was transformed into Mazhit Gafury Museum House. The exhibition includes poet's furniture, literary items and documents. The same year they put a memorial plaque on the house: "Bashkir people's poet Mazhit Gafury worked and lived here in 1923-1934".