According to Ufa reference book of 1908 Austrian citizen Alfred von Vocano owned a land plot No.81 on Vavilovskaya Street. Not far from his factory on Aksakovskaya Street there was a Theodor Herbst's brewery named New Bavaria. Besides, there were breweries of Wohlmuth and Vidineyev's heirs. Soon Ufa newspapers started printing advertisements like the following one: "We are recommending beer produced by the partnership Zhigulevsky brewery of A. Vocano and Co". Or: "During the All-Russian exhibition in Nizhny Novgorod in 1986 Zhigulevskoye beer was awarded golden medal. Plant warehouse, an office in Ufa, Vavilovskaya Street (horse market)". Baker Otto Weidner who lived at the end of Bogorodskaya (Revolyutsionnaya) Street, also a barrel maker, supplied barrels to the factory.
By blood Alfred von Vocano stems from Austrian nobility. Born in 1846, he was a son of Filipp Vocano, the director of Hungarian Royal Land Surveying Office. Having obtained proper primary education, Alfred von Vocano entered Commercial Academy in Vienna. In May 1876 he married a daughter of vice-director of Emperor's Mining Office Anna-Maria-Varvara. In November 1897 Vocano sent a request to obtain Russian citizenship for himself and his children (sons Vladimir, Erich, Lothar, Lev, Herbert, and daughter Olga). The request was satisfied due to Vocano's merits for Russia. On August 23, 1899 in Samara Vocano was sworn into Russian citizenship and obtained a respective certificate.
Alfred von Vocano built his factory in Samara in 1881. During the first year the factory produced 35,670 buckets of beer.
Fitted with technologically advanced equipment, the factory stood out among Samara's companies in its architecture, cleanness, and order, which according to city head Alabin "has never been characteristic of local factories". Beer warehouses were located in 59 cities of the Volga region, Urals, Central Asia, and Siberia. It was also delivered to Persia. The production was awarded 15 medals of international exhibitions. By the way, von Vocano, being pragmatic, decided that the factory buildings in different cities must look almost identical. One of the twin buildings was built in Ufa, on Vavilovskaya Street and faced Konsky Square. The small wooden house projected by an unknown architect featured both ancient Austrian and Art Nouveau traits. It was very simple and elegant. The brick warehouse, despite being a building for specific purposes, was well-decorated with brick-style features. The factory's product line was rather extensive. It produced Venskoye, Martovskoye, Eksport and branded Zhigulevskoye beers.
When World War I started they introduced the prohibition law, and the factory operation was suspended. Alfred von Vocano was suspected in spying for Austria-Hungary. He was exiled to Buzuluk. Right after the revolution of 1917 he went to Austria with his family. In 1929 he died in Austria in the city of Türnitz.
Nowadays the building of former von Vocano's factory is occupied by the paint factory.