This mansion near the southern coach terminal was built as a country house in 1890s by Pavel Kosternin, a bread merchant and one of the richest people of the Governorate. The unknown architect was obviously influenced by Ivan Ropet, a famous promoter of Russian wooden architecture, because he decorated the typical tenement building with an elegant tower and a tented roof. This house seems to be as famous as Kosterin's city house at the corner of Pushkinskaya and Karla Marksa Streets. It is the brightest example of Russian Art Nouveau style in Ufa. Together with Chernikov Kosterin owned a grain mill. Its impressive building is still standing near the Sofronovsky Berth. Currently it is occupied by the flexible shaft plant. Sometimes they conclude that since the mill was co-owned, the famous Kosterin's city house also belonged to both of them. Apart from that there are a lot of interesting facts about the house. At the beginning of the 20th century the wooden house was obtained by merchant Bondarenko as a dwelling-house. That is why merchant Bondarenko's name was put into the register of protected landmarks of city architecture and history.
In early 1920s the house was occupied by one of the Cheka (The All-Russian Extraordinary Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution, Speculation, and Sabotage) country houses. In 1923 a Bashkir branch of voluntary society of air fleet friends was established in Ufa. The central body of the society gave Bashkir branch a Farman-30 aircraft for training purposes. The first airfield was constructed for this very aircraft. It was a 500x500 sq.m. area near Glumilino village. More than 2 thousand Young Communists participated in the volunteer clean-up of the territory.
In the summer of 1924 the first aviation month's campaign took place. The first long-distance flight Ufa-Nikolo-Berezovka-Birsk-Ufa took place on August 10, 1924.
On the Ufa map of 1925 Bondarenko's house was marked with a circle and name: "B. Kosterina". To solve the puzzle let us go back into the history. Back then Ufa finished at the current place of Volodarsky Square near the Agricultural University. Further along Prospekt Oktyabrya there was an Eastern settlement. Somewhere near Halle Street the Eastern settlement finished and Glumilino village started. Kosterin's mansion was situated after the Glumilino fields. In 1920s it was named "former mansion" or simply "b. mansion", where "b." stands for "former".
Kosterin had a large family. There is a legend that the merchant named new streets on his lands in the Eastern settlement after his children. He built a country house near the same settlement. It became a sightseeing attraction because of both its beauty and contrast with Soviet buildings, which appeared later. Today Ufa citizens call merchant Bondarenko's house a Cockerel: because since early 1970s the house was decorated with a weather vane in the form of a cock. One might think the weathercock survived from old times. But the staff of a tourist agency claims that it was they who installed the cock on the spire above the tower when they moved into the house. Indeed, on the old photos one may see only a wind meter, which is used to measure wind speed.
Until 1963 the former house of Kosterin and later Bondarenko's house was used as an air terminal and control room of Ufa airport. Initially, in 1920s the aircraft field was located between Stepena Khalturina and Halle Streets near the former Bondarenko's country house. This fact is proved by the Ufa maps: the former Dmitriyevskaya Street was renamed into the Dobroletnaya Street. The joint-stock company Dobrolet of the voluntary air fleet was a predecessor of Aeroflot Company. But the air terminal appeared in the former Kosterin's house only by the middle of 1930s, when they had to extend the takeoff runway because the aircrafts became bigger. The takeoff runway was along the current Zorge Street. In 1962 a new airport was built outside the city; and standard panel buildings were constructed on the air field near the former Eastern settlement. Bondarenko's house turned out to be in the center of this construction. In 1967 a coach terminal was constructed nearby, whereas the mansion was given to Ufa bureau of travelling and guided tours (nowadays Bashtur).