In early 19th century it was decided to spread technical education among the lower classes: citizens, peasants etc "in order to keep children of lower descent away from gymnasium." To do so they started establishing real schools. Besides, advanced technologies required people with deep knowledge in exact sciences. Such education was called "real" in opposition to "classical", i.e. gymnasium education. For the first time the question about establishing Ufa Real School was raised in 1883, but it was not until 1897 that the Ufa City Duma discussed the issue of "… a real school with a technical department". In a year the Governorate authorities (zemstvo) assigned ten thousand rubles to open a real school and wished that the school must have an agricultural department.
The city Duma also supported the idea upon condition that "the government will wish to establish the abovementioned educational institution in Ufa", devoted funds and allocated a land plot. Soon the curator of Orenburg educational district addressed the City Head and asked to propose a construction site. At the end of the 19th century the Governorate authorities agreed to devote one thousand rubles to the real school annually in order to rent a three-storey building owned by Ufa hereditary honored citizen Vasily Ponosov at the intersection of Tsentralnaya (Lenina) and Bolshaya Kazanskaya (Oktyabrskoy revolutsii) Streets. Additional one and a half thousand rubles were provided by the city administration.
Upon the supreme order dated June 4, 1901 the Real School was established in Ufa. It occupied the 2nd and 3rd floors of Ponosov’s House. Interim supervision of the first class was assigned to the headmaster of Ufa Boys Gymnasium Vladimir Matveev. Due to the excessive popularity of the School it was decided to open a fee-paying class. Apart from the Russian language, literature, history and geography, the students studied an extended course of mathematics, chemistry, physics, spatiography (astronomy), drawing, painting, German and French languages.
The school required a new building. Initially it was decided to build it in Sofia’s Garden (currently the location of Sotsinvestbank on Tsuryupy Street). But due to its proximity to the Boys Gymnasium it was decided to choose another location. House owner Khasabova agreed to sell her estate to the city. It occupied the whole quarter along the Uspenskaya Street just above Aksakovskaya Street.
In 1905 Real School moved to its own building. It was made of red brick and resembled a stone castle. It became of the most beautiful sites along the Uspeskaya Street and in the whole city. The building represents a bright example of the "brick style", so popular at the turn of the century. Obviously, the project was supervised by Vladimir Chaplitsa, an Orenburg Educational District architect.
The student uniform of the Real School was equal to that of the Gymnasium with one crucial difference: it was black. Because the black peaked cap featured a dark-yellow piping, boisterous Gymnasium students labeled the Real School students (their eternal opponents in street battles) "rotten eggs". However, Real School students had their own label "blue beef" for Gymnasium boys because of the white piping on blue peaked cap, which resembled white streaks in meat.
The alumni of real schools had more opportunities to enter higher technical institutions. In 1907 there were 228 boys wearing black peaked caps, whereas in 1915 there were already 300 Real School students in Ufa.
In the Soviet era the building was occupied by the Institute of Public Education. In the late 1930s an additional storey was added to the building under the project of architect Alexey Filonov. The architectural details and pseudo-Gothic attics of the roof were scrupulously moved to the additional third floor. Nowadays the building of the former Real School is occupied by the Bashkir production association Progress.