One may find the construction date of this elegant building with two entrances in a local newspaper, Ufimsky Kray, dated 1899, which often printed an advertisement: "Ufa visitors are welcome to visit Bolshaya Sibirskaya hotel, which was opened on July 11, 1899". The hotel was put into the newly built house of Nogaryov along Tsentralnaya Street (currently 10 Lenina Street) near the Government Offices, gardens and theaters. The rooms cost from 1 ruble per day or more. Once upon a time the two-storied brick building on Lenina Street was situated on the premises of a large mansion, which belonged to merchant Artemy Nogaryov, the owner of ironworks in the South Urals, and a moneylender.
The hotel provided a model cuisine by a Moscow cook and a diverse price list of wines and dishes. The restaurant and all the rooms were lighted with electricity. The building was constructed in brick style, which was popular at the turn of the century. It belonged to Dmitry Klyauznikov, a famous Ufa merchant and a member of the town council, a restaurateur and theater owner. Unfortunately, the name of the architect of this wonderful brick building remained unknown.
In 1904 Klyauznikov's hotel moved to a new house of Parshin in the same quarter at the corner of Aleksandrovskaya and Bolshaya Uspenskaya Streets (Karla Marksa and Kommunisticheskaya Streets). Currently it is an Officers' Club. After that Nogaryov's (Nagaryov's) mansion was occupied by Metropol Hotel.
Nogaryov owned two more adjacent houses in the same quarter near the intersection of Tsentralnaya and Pushkinskaya Streets. Together with the arched gates at Gubernatorskaya (Sovetskaya) Street and a fence they completed a wonderful architectural ensemble. Nogaryov himself was a queerish person: he ususally put on "inherited from someone else" clothing, never donated alms, and sometimes broomed the street himself. At the same time he donated 6 thousand rubles for a bell of Elijah Church. The bell weighted 304 poods and 34 pounds (almost 5 tons!). It was almost the largest bell in the Governorate. Nogaryov lived near his mansion in a modest one-storey house made of stone and leased out his property.
During the First World War the building was occupied by the Governorate Council. Situation with provant was tight, and the authorities responsible for corn storage did everything possible and impossible to supply army with foodstuffs. In March 1917 Metropol Hotel hosted the first legal meeting of Ufa Bolsheviks, which was commemorated with a memorial plaque at the façade wall. The same meeting elected the joint committee of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party (RSDRP), which included both Bolsheviks and Mensheviks. Famous persons like I. Akhtyamov, A. Tsuryupa, A. Svidersky and others were among those Bolsheviks.
Ufa Committee of RSDRP was a party center in Ufa. It occupied the hotel and in March 1917 it started publishing Vperyod! newspaper. A. Svedersky was chief editor of the newspaper. Until May 19, 1917 the editor office occupied 10 Lenina Street, then it moved to 1 Beketovskaya Street (now Mustai Karim Street). The hotel was also occupied by the Governorate Food Committee, headed by L. Tsuruypa. Its activity was covered in a specialized newspaper of the Food Committee. Ufa supplied corn to a large region from Arkhangelsk to Kaluga, Novgorod to Sormovo, Moscow, Petrograd and Vladimir.
Besides, in April 1917 B. Nurimanov founded a Bashkir-Tatar group within the RSDRP Committee. It officially published Alga newspaper. Its major aim was stated in the very first issue of the nespaper dated August 4, 1917. It consisted in "inspiring the downtrodden, suppressed, rightless and abandoned people, prepare them to fight for their rights…"
After the revolution Metropol building was occupied by various institutions, including a hospital for women. Today it is a Ministry of Youth Policy and Sport of Bashkortostan Republic.