The alphabetic list of Ufa's officials and public figures in the reference books of 1908 and 1911 mentions two holders of surname Sultanova: Maryam Islamovna and Maryam Timerbulatovna. The former was Mufti's wife and lived in the house of spiritual assembly at 50 Voskresenskaya Street. The latter was married the Mufti's son. She owned an estate at the corner Tukayeva nd Novomostovaya Streets. She received it from her father as dotal property. Her father, Timerbulat Akchurin, was a hereditary honored citizen of Ufa.
This coincidence causes confusion. In the list of the city's cultural heritage Sultanova Maryam Timerbulatovna is mentioned the former owner of tenement two-storey buildings Nos. 39 and 39/2 on Lenina Street. In the Ufa reference book of 1911, though, the land plot No. 37 on Tsentralnaya Street near the crossroads with Dostoyevskogo Street is owned by Sultanova Maryam Islamovna.
Both houses of Sultanova Maryam Islamovna are constructed by an unknown architect in a similar "brick" style in imitation of Classicism. The right building, though, has a balcony with an elegant cast-iron screen. Slight architectural differences sometimes raise doubts that they belonged to one person. But the ownership is proved by the comparison of 1911 map, which indicates land plots and their owners, with the modern map. During the recent restoration, though, house No. 39 was plastered. Now both buildings resemble each other only because of the identical arched windows of the second floor.
Mukhamedyar Sultanov, a Mufti of 1886-1915, was a father of nine children. His son from the first wife Arslanaly (1862-1908) was the husband of Maryam Akchurina. The Musfti's second wife gave birth to two sons and three daughters of the Mufti.
According to the tax book of 1916 (after the death of Mufti Sultanov) the houses on Tsentralnaya Street were owned by Maryam Shaikhilislamovna. The same source also indicated that the land plot with the houses was purchased on March 1, 1908. It also named new tenant who lived in the house in 1922: Basimova Fatyma, Kurbangulova Sufiya, Sultanov Bayazit, Bibi-Zuleikha and Bibi-Mafruza. None of the numerous address calendars mention her name. It is indicated only in the list of land owners in the Ufa reference books of 1908 and 1911.
Nowadays house No. 39 is occupied by the polyclinic. In house No. 39/2 there are still shared apartments. The lower floors, though, have always been used by the household services. Now there is also a shop in the basement. For many years there has been a sign in the form of a boot under the balcony which signified that there was a shoemaker in the house. Locals often called the house a "boot". On the second floor there lived a mysterious person Yury Pilan. He specialized in opening safes. He was well-known among the absent-minded accountants who lost their keys. Many people believed that he was a safe-cracker. But it wasn't true: he was just a highly qualified locksmith.