The initial general development plan accepted in March 1938 by the Ufa city council stipulated that a two-hall cinema for 600 persons must be constructed in the historical center of the city at the intersection of Lenin and Chernyshevsky Streets. In May 1939 the decision was approved by the Council of People's Commissars of the Bashkir SSR. The engineering and geological surveys of the site were carried out the same year. In September 1939, though, the Republic's government issued a decree to construct a new cinema in the northern industrial district of Ufa. All the funds were supposed to be redirected to the new project. These plans were cancelled by the Great Patriotic War. It was not until the 25th anniversary of the Bashkir SSR (the year 1944) that the funds for a two-hall cinema were included into the cost sheet of the celebration.
In pursuit of accelerating design operations, the Republic's government decided to use an existing project. The project of a one-hall cinema for 800 persons, which was erected in Stalingrad by Semyon Yakshin, was finally chosen. The government requested permission to use the project again. The Ministry of Cinematography of RSFSR, though, did not support the request because of high costs. It suggested going back to the two-hall cinema project.
Very soon, though architect Yakshin came to Ufa because his project was used for a new Pobeda Cinema, and the construction was finished in 1948. Being aware of the discussion between the government of the Bashkir SSR and the Ministry of Cinematography, Yakshin designed a new project of a two-hall cinema for 700 persons. This project was based on his own project of Udarnik Cinema in Stalingrad. Yakshin significantly transformed the main façade into the eight-column Corinthian order portico. This solution was taken from another cinema in Stalingrad. Later several other cinemas across the country were built in accordance with Udarnik project. Moreover, all these projects resemble the same of architect Zholtovsky. But the Rodina Cinema in Ufa is the only USSR cinema of the kind. And it is not a coincidence that it was criticized by Nikita Khrushchev (Secretary General of the USSR) who was combating architectural redundancy.
The new variant was promptly approved by both parties, and in summer 1949 the construction plan was confirmed. A one-storey pre-revolutionary L-shaped house at the construction site was demolished. It was assumed that the new building will be used by the staff of the old Ufa cinema Oktyabr. That is why its director Fattakhutdinov supervised the construction from the very beginning. It was his initiative to reequip a part of the basement into the documentary film hall for 60 persons. The cinema was opened in July 1953.
Architect Yakshin indented the cinema away from the building line and decorated the ground in front of the building with a fountain and other architectural items. The arched pediment is supported with elegant columns: the coffers (in accordance with the architect's instructions) are still painted ultramarine. During the repair the color-grade of the façade is preserved to the maximum.
The architect was very attentive to the implementation of his project. He supervised the project until the very end of the construction process. The last proposals for improving the quality of construction and maximum preservation of the initial ideas were given in March 1953.
Initially the building was surrounded with shabby low-rise houses. By1970s the houses were demolished, and the cinema could become a delicate construction soaring in the air. Unfortunately, the demolished houses were substituted with high buildings.