Commerce School and Trade School were opened in Ufa just before the beginning of the World War I. Commerce schools were established in St. Petersburg, Odessa, Riga and other Russian cities in the second half of the 19th century in order to educate merchants and businessmen: salesmen, accountants, inspectors and other low and medium level employees.
The idea to establish a commerce school in Ufa appeared in 1903. It was initiated by Sergey Zaikov and Azariy Itin. On March 11, 1909 the city council decided to give a free of charge land plot for this purpose. The site of almost 1,000 square meters was located on Tsentralnaya (Lenin) and Bogorodskaya (Revolutsionnaya) Streets. City architect Guskov made a project featuring both neo-Classicism and Art Nouveau elements against the backdrop of the brick style. According to the cost sheet the construction of the first part of the school required 115,000 rubles.
Ufa Commerce School was opened on August 25, 1912. Its entrance, staircase, corridors, and assembly hall were decorated with oak and coniferous branches, big and small national flags. Ufa governor Pyotr Bashilov visited the opening ceremony himself. Lessons started two days later.
Apart from the general subjects students were trained in merchandizing, accounting and other commercial disciplines. Their uniform resembled that of the gymnasium, but the piping of the peaked caps was green. That is why acid-tongued gymnasium students called them "frogs" (the gymnasium students, though, were labeled "blue beef" because of the white piping on blue peaked cap, which resembled white streaks in meat). Buttonholes of their overcoats were also green; buttons were decorated with Mercury's staff.
The next academic year of 1913-1914 there were two preparatory and two first classes in the school. In August 1914 Alexandr Noskov (1872-1961) was appointed to the position of a school director. He was a full member of the Russian Geographic Society, researcher of the nature of Ufa region. Later he initiated the formation of the Institute of Public Education.
At the beginning of the academic year the building was badly damaged by fire. The right wing suffered the most: the upper floor was closed down, whereas on the lower floor plaster remained wet for the rest of the year.
The existing building was supplemented with an additional wing projected by architect Pludermakher. It had the following facilities: a gym, trading museum, nature and history room, four classes, and a director's flat. The school had two libraries: a student library and a fundamental one (the latter contained a commercial section). Every year it was supplemented with new books. Upon graduation the school students were given the status of Real School alumni. They could become officials, or otherwise could enter a higher educational institution.
During the meeting of the pedagogical committee on February 13, 1919 it was decided to transform the commerce school into an advanced labor school.
The students with green caps used this building for 6-7 years only. After the revolution the commerce school was transformed into a secondary school. The building was named the House of Lenin. Apart from the school (in 1930s it was given No.26) the building was occupied by various organizations: from the committee of the Russian Communist Party of Bolsheviks to the theater of young workers (abbreviated TRAM). In the late 1930s the building was used as a House of Pioneers. In October 1941 the house was used to accommodate the members of the Communist International from the whole of Europe. This occasion was commemorated in 1977 when they opened a museum of international friendship. When the museum was closed the facility was occupied by the Ufa city museum.
After the war the building was given to the aviation institute. Since 1967 it has been occupied by the Ufa Aviation College.