List of Sites

Volunteer Fire Association

Volunteer Fire Association

Nowadays:

Office block

The year 1878 witnessed the establishment of Ufa Volunteer Fire Association, a volunteer fire brigade. The city authorities provided it with 12 carriages and barrels, a pumper, hydraulic sprayers, and other items. In June 1904 Ufa City Duma was considering the possibility of allocating land for the construction of the association's station in Severnaya settlement near the park of the People's Sobriety Association (nowadays Ivan Yakutov Park). After the fire of 1904 timber merchant Stepan...
  • Audio story
  • How to visit?
      Address:
      67 Lenina Street
      Public Transport Stop:
      Ledovyi dvorets Ufa-Arena
  • History

      The year 1878 witnessed the establishment of Ufa Volunteer Fire Association, a volunteer fire brigade. The city authorities provided it with 12 carriages and barrels, a pumper, hydraulic sprayers, and other items.

      In June 1904 Ufa City Duma was considering the possibility of allocating land for the construction of the association's station in Severnaya settlement near the park of the People's Sobriety Association (nowadays Ivan Yakutov Park). After the fire of 1904 timber merchant Stepan Minayev donated a one-storey wooden house to the volunteer association as an expression of his gratitude, because volunteers defended his quay from the fire. The house was used as a fire station. In 1907 they built a two-storey brick building with a 32-meter watchtower. The first floor had a big gate for a fire carriage to move in and out, and a warehouse for equipment. The second floor was used as an office. Besides, the fire station was supplemented with a one-storey wooden building with three gates down the Tsentralnaya Street.

      An unknown architect constructed the initial (i.e. watchtower and brick station with one gate) brick part of the fire station featuring the neo-Gothic brick style, which was popular among the fire authorities. Besides, architecturally it made the building closer to the Lutheran Church nearby. Despite the diversity of billboards on the walls and watchtower of the today's fire station, the quality of the brick building is perfect due to the reconstruction of 2004. The watchman's cabin still has a rod for balloons (or lanterns during the night): in case of a small fire the watchman displayed one balloon; otherwise he showed two or three balloons. It was a sign for other watchmen to send their fire brigades.

      The station's staff consisted of 8 members, 8 horses, 4 fire carriages, 1 waggonette (i.e. an open carriage to transport firefighters), a barrel carriage and a wagon. The fire extinguishing equipment consisted of a pump, two barrels (500 liters each), set of 4 pole hooks, 23.5-meter hempen fire-hose, lanterns, 6 axes, 2 crowbars, and special roof grappling hooks.

      The building was also used as a fire association club. From 1907 to 1915 it was employed as a Muravey cinema. The income was used to maintain the staff members and fire equipment. In 1915 the cinema was closed, because the building was necessary for keeping prisoners of war. Apart for being on duty, fire volunteers were involved in outreach activities. Ufa chief of police and board member of the Volunteer Fire Association Bukhartovsky initiated the formation of a brass band of fire fighters. The band was performing at various events. The Governorate People's Association of Sobriety granted 500 rubles to purchase two brass instruments of the orchestra.

      Upon the 1918 revolution this building was also used by the 4th Militia Department. On May 1, 1921 the staff of the fire station amounted to 28 persons and established a three-shift duty. The building was provided with electricity and telephone. In 1923 the staff size reached 48 members. The left wing was used as a Fakel cinema. In 1926 the station was given a Baltika automobile with a pump powered by the car. In 1929 Fakel cinema in the yard of the fire station was closed. Instead this site was used for the construction of a permanent fire station with four gates, duty rooms, and personal service rooms. The new building was finished in 1934, and had an automatic pump and three horse carriages.

      Nowadays the building is occupied by the 2nd fire station.

  • Photo
  • Show on map
      loading map...
3575
6
To top