This notable house of 1895 in Ufa downtown was meant to be a tenement building, but soon was remade into Astoria Hotel.
The three-storey building with elegant outlines was erected with regard to the appearing Art Nouveau style. It retained its architectural and stylistic characteristics until the times we live in.
Both sides of the facade demonstrate glassed staircases going up the building. Both are found over the entrances. The façade consists of five sections separated from each other with richly decorated columns. Each one of them consists of three arched windows: two wide windows frame a narrow one. The building became more solemn after the complete overhaul in the 90s and interior reconstruction. An attic floor was added during the same reconstruction.
This architecturally individual building survived an attempt to destroy its aesthetic integrity and uniqueness. Ufa was becoming a large industrial and cultural center and needed more hotels. So in 1932 the city authorities decided to supplement Astoria with an additional wing, which would be facing Karl Marx and Kommunisticheskaya Streets.
The project was assigned to a young Ufa architect Vaidner. As an architect he supported the traditions of constructivism; thus, he suggested erecting the additional wing within a short period of time with minimum expenses. These drawings are still kept in the Central State Historical Archive of Bashkortostan. The additional wing would have spoiled the initial image of the building. Astoria would have been displaced with a disharmonious and ascetic three-storey building featuring only one decoration: geometrically arranged windows. The roof was supposed to be flat.
The new wing would have subdued the initial one with its huge volume. Besides, it was supposed to be constructed instead of the two adjacent two-storey buildings, which are also of considerable interest. The part on Kommunisticheskaya Street would have been too gross. Fortunately, these plans never came true.
During the development of the city's central streets in the post-Soviet period they decided to build an office of a Bashkir fuel-and-energy company in the back yard of the hotel. So they installed a fence with a gate, put a 24/7 guard near it and erected the office.
In 1940 they built the Republic's largest Bashkiria Hotel; Astoria was used to dispose the city committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks and the executive committee of the city council. On the second and third floors they made a large conference hall and a room of party education with a library and reading hall. The hotel rooms were refitted into office rooms for party members.
In 1958 the two cities Ufa and Chernikovka were united by Prospect Oktyabrya Street. Along this street they put a five-storey building for city authorities. The former building of Astoria Hotel, now vacant, was reorganized into Ufa Hotel. Later it was renamed into Astoria.