By 1910 houses on the odd-numbered side of Aleksandrovskaya (nowadays Karl Marx) Street between Malaya Kazanskaya (Sverdlov) and Bolshaya Uspenskaya (Kommunisticheskaya) Streets had been lined up end-to-end. The sunny side of Bazarnaya Square, never ending flows of people, and many other factors made the price of land in this area quite significant. Obviously, the Annunciation Monastery was the first stone building in the vicinity. Around the year 1885 it was reconstructed, and now it is used by Pharmacy No.5. All other land plots in this section of Aleksandrovskaya were purchased by a certain Mikhail Kekishev. He constructed a one-storey stone building and stopped for lack of money or because of illness. Anyways by 1879 he had already deceased, and the land plots were partitioned by the heirs. Obviously, Kekishev did not have children of his own, because this surname is not found anywhere else. What Kekishev did not manage to finish was finished by the new land owners the Zaikovs.
In Ufa publications of the year 1896 we can find such texts: "A.P. Zaikov. Steam printing works and lithography in Ufa. Elegant and neat typography. Aleksandrovskaya Street, Zaikov's house. Manufactory, cloth, and fur goods in Ufa, shopping arcade".
According to 1908 reference books, the land plot on Aleksandrovskaya Street belonged to Sergei Zaykov. It is obvious that Aleksey was the elder brother of Sergei Zaikov, because in 1879 Aleksey was a member of Ufa City Duma and a member of the accounting committee of Ufa City Public Bank. Sergei held significant offices only in the second half of 1890s. In 1897 Alexey Zaikov was a member of city administrative board. After 1900 his name suddenly disappeared from address calendars. Sergei demolished a large two-storey stone house of 1880s and used this land plot to build Astoria Hotel, whereas fifteen years before that Aleksey put an elegant cartouche featuring initial letters of his name and date 1896 on its house which looked small near the huge Astoria building. Aleksey added another floor to the one-storey house constructed by Kekishev in 1860s. Besides, he added two side wings, so the major part of the house looked like a risalit. The upper floor was decorated with arched windows featuring an archivolt. The major facade was richly rusticated. The upper part of the house was decorated with three attics. The central one, featuring the Old Russian style, carried the initial letter in the style of Old Slavonic letters.
When in the late 1900s architect Guskov was constructing a new hotel building, he used a part of the fencing design of the balcony of Zaykov's House. It may be, though, that it was done in order to unite the two adjacent buildings.
In the Soviet age this house along with the adjacent houses was occupied by the publishing house and typography of Sovetskaya Bashkiria and Vechernaya Ufa newspapers. Specifically, the former Aleksey Zaikov's house was occupied by the laboratory of press photographers and a small dormitory. At the same time the entrance arch was ruined by the trucks which brought products into the grocery store on the first floor of Ufa hotel (this is a Soviet name of Astoria Hotel). Several years ago the facade and the arch were renovated, but the supporting carcass altered the circular form of the arch.