An obscure turret is rising over the modern business center on Karl Marx Street. It turns out that during the fundamental reconstruction and addition the architects decided to employ this turret in order to remind that previously the building was used by the 2nd Fire and Police Station.
The construction of the Ufa City Police Office was supposed to start in spring 1869. To do so, though, it was necessary to demolish dilapidated buildings in the main yard, which were used by "the fire captain of the police brigade, inferior brigade members, horses and fire fighters". The governorate board ordered one of its engineers to make a budget for deploying the fire brigade, horses and fire fighting tools on the premises of the 2nd police station. On September 15, 1869 members of the Ufa State Duma received a certificate that the Duma member Glazyrin had accomplished all the works "in a solid and good manner using the materials of proper quality".
On July 30, 1897 the city assembly sent a project of a new stone building for the 2nd fire and police station to the governorate board; whereas on August 2, 1897 the construction department of the Ufa Governorate Board submitted the house drawing for Governor's approval. After that the project was amended once again: there were supposed to be three flights of stairs, and a firewall was erected between this building and the building of Konshin's power station under construction.
It is interesting that the short lane between Alexandrovskaya and Gogolevskaya Streets was named after the power station: Elektricheskiy lane. Just before the construction of the station there was a small lake across the lane, which was filled up. The name Elektricheskiy lane stuck, even though its last buildings were removed in 1970s.
The construction of the 2nd police station was managed by contractor Feodorov; the erected building was examined by the city architect Lanevsky. The building features the so-called brick style with minimum decorations to save the funding. The only decoration elements include rustic facades of the both floors along the Aleksandrovskaya Street and Elektricheskiy lane and massive window frames with keystones. To the contrary the watchtower (as opposite to its predecessor on Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street) looked much larger because it faced none of the building's facades. At once it became very popular among the photographers because of its picturesque location: they took pictures of it and from it.
Unfortunately, in 1960s the buildings of the Second fire and police station as well as Konshin's power station were deprived of their historical exterior: a third floor was added, and the building was painted in order to "make the old and new parts equal". Besides, Ufaselmash Plant built its facilities from the northern and eastern sides of the power station.
In 1999 the plant went bankrupt. Motion-picture studio Bashkortostan was the last to rent the facilities until the end of the year 2000. Until January 2001 the fire and police station building retained its old front staircase with artistically cast fencing. The whole quarter of the liquidated plant was given to the Republican Foundation for Small Business Support.