The wonderful building with rich molding constructed in Eclecticism style with elements of late Classicism is now occupied by the Bashkir Philology Department of Miftakhetdin Akmulla Bashkir State Pedagogical University.
The history of the building is very rich. The surveying school was opened in Ufa on September 1, 1879. It was moved from Orenburg. Ufa Surveying School was a secondary agricultural educational institution, the third school of this kind in Russia. Since 1880 the school occupied a stone two-storeyed building along Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street (currently 10 Oktybrskoy Revolutsii Street). The aim of the Surveying School was defined as follows: "education of technicians for fulfilling surveying and land measuring works, as well as related works of significant land improvement and taxation".
The education course equalled 3 years. The school accepted boys of 15-19 years old from all social classes and all confessions. The applicants were supposed to have accomplished at least 4 classes of real schools. On this basis the surveying school arranged admission examinations in several subjects: the law of God, Russian language and literature, arithmetics, algebra, geometry, Rusian history in connection with the World history and geography. The surveying school accepted students without examination when they successfully graduated from the 4th form of a real school or the 5th form of a gymnasium within one year before the application to the surveying school. In this case, though, they were suppposed to "fulfil tests in mathematics and Russian language".
According to the rules, scholarship was given to the students with at least 4 points for admission examinations. Each USS class included 20 scholarship holders of the Ministry of Justice. Besides, there were 20 scholarship holders of the Ministries of Agriculture and State-Owned Property. On the whole, judging by amount of scholarships, surveying schools were the most generous specialised secondary educational establishments.
Competition among the applicants to the surveying school had always been tough because of availability of large amount of budget scholarships and because the allumni had certain privileges, which enabled them to succeed in life. Upon graduation the allumni were assigned the degree of surveyers and taxators. Summa cum laude alumni could be sent to "to the higher Konstantin Surveying Institute, the tuition being paid by the state".
Qualification of the first teachers was comparatively high. All of them had a corresponding higher education.
The social and economic changes at the end of the 19th century caused review of the education programs of surveying schools. Three-year peiod also failed to meet agricultural producation needs. That is why in 1909 new Regulations of Surveying Schools have been adopted, which transformed them into four-year educational institutions. New rules increased the age of the accepted students up to 20 years old. Just as before, the extended program was split into general and special disciplines.
Third part of the program was devoted to general subjects, whereas special subjects accounted for the half of the program. The remaining part consisted of graphical subjects. All the three groups of disciplines were interconnected. Moreover general subjects complied with the aim of the school, which means that special subjects were especially important. Judging by the fact that one lesson was one and a half hour, education was rather intensive.
One of the peculiarities of the school consisted in the fact that in the first two classes the lesson consisted of the initial part, home task check, new material explanation and corresponding exercises etc. In the senior school a "coach system" was used: the teacher delivered lectures and checked the knowledge at the end of the quarter in written or oral form.
Practical lesson were given in warm seasons, mostly in summer. They consisted in land surveying and site drawing.
In the Soviet period Ufa Surveying School was transformed into the Land Management College.