In 1890s the third part of all the Ufa brick houses belonged to the family of timber merchant Feodor Chizhov. The best part of his houses was concentrated on Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street (Oktyabrskoy revolyutsii Street), which comprised an integrated historical and architechtural ensemble.
The Ufa hereditary honorary citizen, 1st guild merchant Chizhov (approx. 1830-1900) was named "Ufa Croesus" (after the famous Lydia King) for his overwhelming wealth. By 1900 his wealth was estimated approximately 67 thousand rubles, besides, his wife also had a capital of 21 thousand rubles. In 1890 Chizhov donated his mansion on Telegrafnaya (Tsuruypy) Street to the city for the purpose of establishing a hospital for 30 patients, which became the first large hospital in Ufa. Back then the former regional hospital (currently the Republican hospital) was quite modest in both size and capabilities.
In the city Chizhov was famous for being a generous benefactor. He donated to almost every significant construction of a public building or church in the city. In 1887-1890 he was the head of the city.
The major Chizhov’s House, where he lived himself, was a two-storied brick house with towers at the corners and balcony grating featuring the initial letters of the owner’s name. It was built at the end of the 1880s in the style of Russian Eclecticism. Judging by the photos the building acquired its present appearance at the end of the 19th century. In the Soviet era the house was occupied by the district committee, housing, and a Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy up to the early 1990s. The house was restored a number of times. Now the building is occupied by the French department of the National Library.
The adjacent house owned by Chizhov was rented by the Surveying School, which moved from Orenburg to Ufa in 1879. In the Soviet time the building was occupied by the orphanage, tailor school, hospital, district committees of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League and Communist Party of the Soviet Union, geology institute. The wonderful building featured elements of Eclecticism and late Classicism, rich molding. It has never been restored, only cosmetic repairs have been made. Now the building is occupied by the Pedagogical University.
Another one-storey stone building of Chizhov was rented by the Volga and Kama Commercial Bank. In early 1970s during the construction of the Pedagogical University the house was badly damaged: the rich molding has been demolished, a large brick attic was destroyed, the initial letters of the bank name above the left entrance have been removed. Now the building looks very primitive. The deep bank basements, though, have remained.
Chairman of various committees, patron and benefactor, Feodor Chizhov died in the year 1900 and buried at the Ufa Old Believer Cemetery. In 1930s the cemetery along the Traktovaya Street was destroyed, and wooden houses have been built at the site. After Chizhov’s death the household was maintained by his wife Iraida Chizhova. The contemporaries told that she was a good owner, and she could enter cold water herself to accelerate the works.