In the late 1870s there were two photographer's parlors, a telegraph station, clock, fabrics, fashion, and haberdashery stores, a bakery and confectionary, as well as two wine stores on the northern side of Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street between the Telegrafnaya and Spasskaya Streets. By the late 19th century, though, the street stopped being a central one, and all the large stores moved to other places. This area turned into a residential district. The street was cobbled up to the crossroads with Telegrafnaya Street only. The remaining part was not cobbled until 1917, and the cobbling finished somewhere near the Savior's Church.
This was the period, though, when wealthy citizens started liking the street for its serenity and vicinity to city center. Indeed, it was a promising area: cleanness and order were guaranteed because the police and fire station was located not far from here, headed by chief of police Bukhartovsky. Thus, Ufa vice governor Aleksey Tolstoy rented a flat in the house of estate No.21, vice prosecutor of the Ufa district court Konstantin Andreyev lived in No. 19, another vice prosecutor of the same court Filipp Eisenberg lived in No. 48.
Pavel Rudavsky, an author of the project of Aksakov People's House (nowadays Opera and Ballet Theater on Lenin Street) also rented a flat on Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street. His advertisement said as follows: "Civil engineer P. Rudavsky will make any project, estimation, and engineering supervision of works, as well as central heating installation, 25 B. Kazanskaya".The whitewashed brick building No. 25 on Bolshaya Kazanskaya (Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya) Street belonged to Yelena Ushkova. But, obviously, the mentioned engineer rented house No.25/1 to the right of the gates.
In 1879 the estate belonged to Darya Gorodetskaya, the owner of the above mentioned confectionary. In 1898 it still belonged to Gorodetskaya. In 1908, though, the estate was already owned by Yelena Ushkova.
The mysterious Ushkova is not mentioned only in address books. But, still, there is an interesting fact about her from a source which is scarcely connected with Ufa: since the 1850s Ushkov brothers (Pyotr and Konstantin) owned three chemical factories. In 1883 they established a Partnership of Chemical Factories of P. Ushkov and Co with the capital stock of 2.4 million rubles. The Partnership owned lands under the forest estates, factories and quays, factories in Yelabuga district of Vyatka Governorate, Kazan and Samara factories, a construction lime factory, and limestone deposits on the Volga River in Samara Governorate, a peat swamp in Perm Governorate and goods depots in Nizhny Novgorod. In the Urals the partnership rented sulfide, chrome, copper, and manganese ores. The partnership also owned its own fleet in order to supply goods to the cities along the Volga River. It sold the output through its offices in Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod, Perm, Kazan, Samara, Omsk, and Ufa. Obviously, in accordance with the tradition among merchants, one of the Partnership founders put his daughter to be a head of the Ufa office.Obviously, it is Ushkova who built the one-storey (two-storey in the yard) stone house with amusive different-size windows at the back wall. An unknown architect had to squeeze the new house into a limited space. Besides, the authorities made him build a firewall between the new house and the neighboring wooden house of the Lapins. As for the decorations, luxurious cast-iron fencing atop of the house contrasted with a modest brick-style façade.
After the revolution the house was used as a residential one. In the 1990s, though, it was purchased by a commercial firm.