One of the three dynastic branches of the famous industrialists Demidovs concentrated their activity at the Southern Urals. In December 1771 Yevdokim Demidov started making arrangements for constructing a factory at the Kukhtur River (the Belaya River confluent). By October of the next year the factory with two blast furnaces was ready for commissioning.
The industrialists gained permission for construction from Saint-Petersburg; further affairs were handled through local Ufa office. In 1754 the Orenburg Mining Authority was established in Ufa. It was responsible for examination of mines and locations for new factories, land division and allocation. For this reason many mining companies moved to Ufa. In 1770 Yevdokim Demidov built a stone house of his own on Kazanskaya Street. Throughout its history the house was modified. That is why now we need to be very cautious when speaking of the Baroque elements of this house, created by the unknown architect.
Part of the house, including the office, was disposed by the owners. The other part was given to office clerks, managers and servants. Judging by the architecture and according to old people who remember the house, part of the house was used as warm stables and coachman room. The estate also had storehouses to keep iron ore and ironware; granaries; lodging for clerks and managers; warehouses for supplies, foodstuffs and other materials. The problem was that sometimes they did not have enough time to float all the ironware during the high tide of spring, and the caravan had to stay in Ufa for the whole winter. In this case they had to unload the ironware and store it in a safer place. It was a very difficult and dangerous thing to do; it required someone to take care of it. That is why in 1770 Yevdokim Demidov required his son Ivan to live in Ufa.
Ivan Demidov stayed in Ufa unto his death and sometimes visited his factories. Major General M. Rebelinsky noted in his memoirs that famous military commander Suvorov stayed in Demidov's house in Ufa for five days.
On July 18, 1822 in his letter to the Senate about the fire of 1821, Ivan Demidov mentioned that he has “exhausted” his capital to restore the burnt-out Kaginsky factory and to purchase bread for the peasants of Kaginsky and Uzyansky factories, because it was too expensive due to harvest failure.
It is on record that Ivan Demidov donated golden casing for the iconostasis of Smolensky Cathedral (located at the current site of the Friendship Monument) and 700 logs to build Ufa Boys Gymnasium. It was he who built a cast iron bridge over the ravine and the dams near his house: from Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street to Bolshaya Uspenskaya Street, where Demidov's estate with a two-storey stone mill was situated (currently the intersection of Kommunisticheskaya and Vorovskogo Streets). Back then the part of current Salavat Yulayev prospekt from Oktyabrskoy Revolutsii to Kommunisticheskaya Streets was named Demidov pereulok.
Ivan Demidov died in Ufa on November 12, 1823. The 1826 inventory of his immovable property in Ufa shows that at the intersection of Kommunisticheskaya and Vorovskogo Streets he had a house with four wings.
After Ivan Demidov's death his debt amounted to 79,050 rubles. The Demidov's house was sealed, and for many years nobody lived in the house apart from the domestic servant who was sent here to look for the estate in Ufa. In 1836, though, Ufa Governor noticed something was wrong with Demidov's house and arranged investigation. For instance, according to the 1827 inventory there was a golden kettle in the house, which was substituted with a copper one etc. But for many years the house and property of the Demidovs' were not sold.
In 1858 rich Belebey merchant Fyodor Sofronov (Safronov) bought from Demidov's heirs the stone house, stone mill and Demidov's site at the bank of the Belaya River near the Orenburg crossing.