According to the 1879 Ufa population census, the land plot with this stone two-storey house along the building line of current Pushkin Street belonged to the heirs of Ivan Bazilevskiy. Ivan Bazilevskiy (1791-1876), a son of a Sterlitamak priest, was educated at the Ufa Theological Seminary, then at the Kazan Theological Academy. His first employment was in Ufa, he reached the rank of the Actual State Councilor. His activity included wine taxation and gold mining. He had five estates in Ufa and Belebey districts (uyezd). Before the Emancipation reform he owned 1,000 male serfs.
Having made a fortune, Ivan Bazilevskiy moved to Saint-Petersburg. In Ufa he was widely known for his handsome charitable donations. According to Marshal of Nobility V. Novikov, «Mr. Bazilevskiy helped every charitable institution in Ufa, and through his contributions he reinforced and increased the funds of benevolent societies.» In 1875 Bazilevskiy’s donations were employed to build a new wooden theater in Sofia's Garden instead of the burnt-out one. It is this theater where young Feodor Chaliapin performed in 1890 as a member of Semyonov-Samarsky troupe.
Having purchased a small steamship named "Manatura", in 1867 Ivan Bazilevskiy established weekly passenger service between Ufa and Naberezhnye Chelny. In order to commemorate his contributions, Ufa City Duma named one of the Ufa streets after Bazilevskiy; it was the initial part of the current Lenina Street: the interval up to Pushkina Street.
As for the Bazilevskiy's house, we know neither the architect's name nor construction time. The house stands in stark contrast with Poletayev's Hotel to the left of the building. The house looks more austere than the neighboring building with fanciful decorations.
In the early 20th century the architectural mixture within a single facility allowed to switch from one style to another: the period of Eclecticism still depended on Classicism. Later Art Nouveau, to the contrary, depended on Eclecticism.
The passage between the estate and hotel is closed with parapet design consisting of circular windings and curls, as well as front gates (recently restored) with semicircles, full of flower design, which once again stressed the lightness of both buildings.
Decoration of the building is very modest. It is decorated with the lonely but fanciful ornament above the three arched windows of the avant-corps in the central part of the building. As opposite to the arbitrary planning of its neighboring building, this house, consistently with Classicism, is symmetric. Initially the building was not plastered; it allows limiting its construction time to the interval of 1870-1780, i.e. the period of Eclecticism.
At the very beginning of the 20th century the land was purchased by Ufa notary Nikolay Bogolyubov. Currently the building is occupied by the Eye Research Institute. Previously it was named Ufa Eye Infirmary, which was opened in 1990-s on Ufimskaya Street (currently Chernyshevsky Street). In 1925 the Ufa Eye Infirmary moved to 90 Pushkin Street. In a year it was reorganized into the Bashkir Trachomatous Research Institute.