According to the 1879 census almost the whole northern part of the quarter of Golubinaya (Puhkinskaya) Street between Bazilevskaya (Lenina) and Gubernatorskaya (Sovetskaya) Streets belonged to the 2nd guild merchant Ignaty Korotkov. He kept a grocery in the stone house at the corner of Bazilevskaya (Lenina) and Gubernatorskaya (Sovetskaya) Streets (this house can be seen on the 1867 photo). Korotkov's son was a member of Ufa State Duma. He sold wine by wholesale in his own house on Bolshaya Kazanskaya Street. Nevertheless, by 1890 the Korotkovs had already left Ufa. The land was purchased by Artemy Nagarev, an Ufa merchant, owner of South Urals ironworks, and a moneylender. Nagaryov himself was a queerish person: he usually wore "inherited from someone else" clothing, never donated alms, and sometimes broomed the street himself. At the same time he donated 6 thousand rubles for a bell of Elijah Church. The bell weighted 304 poods and 34 pounds (almost 5 tons!). It was almost the largest bell in the Governorate.
Nagarev purchased all the Korotkov's land plots and used them to build large stone houses. He also owned two adjacent houses in the same quarter near the crossroad of Tsentralnaya and Pushkina Streets. Together with the arched gates along the Gubernatorskaya (Sovetskaya) Street and fence these houses represented a wonderful architectural ensemble.
Very often Nagayov's surname was spelled Nogaryov. For instance this advertisement reads: "Ufa guests are recommended to stay at Grand Siberian Hotel in the new luxurious Hogayov's house on Tsentralnaya Street (nowadays 10 Lenina Street) near the public offices, gardens and theaters".
Nagarev lived nearby on Pushkinskaya Street in a modest one-storey house made of stone; and leased out his luxurious property. In different periods the largest Nagarev's house (its construction date 1901 can be seen on the attic) was used by a number of organizations: from P.P. Tolstoy's newspaper office to the school of cookery. An unknown architect employed almost all the means of expression of the brick style. The archivolts of the second floor windows take turns with dripstones of two types on the windows of the first floor; topped with fanciful attics the brickwork imitates engaged columns; rounded corners of the building are highlighted with balconies and rotunda turrets on top.
Obviously, Nagarev's heirs were not as enterprising as their father, thus, they started selling their fortune. Nevertheless, by 1917 the land on the corner of Pushkinskaya and Tsentralnaya Streets was still owned by Nagayov’s son and daughter: Pavel Nagayov and Olimpiada Sidorova, a widow of a state official Sidorov.
After the revolution the building was occupied by the Bashkir Research Institute of National Culture (Institute of Language and Literature) and Pedagogical College.
During the Great Patriotic War Nagarev's house on 104 Pushkinskaya Street (in the 1920s the house number was changed from No.78 into No.104) was used as a hospital. After the war it was given to maternity hospital No.1 which was previously located in the opposite house of the former Novikov's boarding school. The maternity hospital used the building for almost forty years. Later it was decided to relocate the hospital to a quieter place.