In 1879 the mansion at the corner of former Uspenskaya (Kommunisticheskaya) and Beketovskaya (M. Karima) Streets was owned by Sergei Lvovich Sakharov, a former merchant from Yaroslavl.
The two-storey plastered building was made of brick, obviously, in 1860s-early 1870s. The photo of 1967, which is being kept in the State Hermitage, shows only a corner of the house, which means, that the house was built at least in two stages and maintained its classical decoration elements. The architect's name is unknown. The building represents a square. Long street facades form the building lines of both streets.
The window arcs of both floors of S. Sakharov's tenement building are somehow echoing the arcade of the Guest Court. There is an interfloor ledgement between the windows of the floors and a frieze above the second floor windows.
The first floors of the buildings along Verkhnetorgovaya Square were occupied by the shops. Like in many old buildings of Ufa, the corner of the building facing the crossroad had a chamfered corner with an entrance. The building is deprived of western or eastern facades: it adjoins to neighboring mansions. The enclosed yard can be entered through the only archway in the eastern façade. The openwork gate wings have been lost.
Initially the building had four metal balconies of two types. The corner and eastern (over the gate) balconies are of special interest from artistic point of view.
The main entrance inside of the building, which initially faced Uspenskaya (Kommunisticheskaya) Street, retained cast-iron stairs with cast-iron balusters produced by Gutman's factory. The corridor system with arcs of the second (hotel) floor remained unchanged as well.
According to the reference books of 1908 and 1911 the mansion No.45 at the corner of Uspenskaya Street (1 Beketovskaya Street) was still owned by the 1st guild merchant S. Sakharov. In 1891-93 Sakharov was elected the city head of Ufa.
For many years from March 12, 1887 and until his demise (presumably between 1913 and 1915) S. Sakharov was an honorary trustee and benefactor of the First Ufa State Boys Gymnasium. Sakharov supplied the gymnasium with all the necessary training and technical equipment, decorated St. Sophia's Church (chapel) of the gymnasium, supported students from needy families. For outstanding contribution Sergei Sakharov was given the title of Hereditary Honored Citizen of Ufa.
At the end of the 19th century the second floor was occupied by Russia Hotel. In 1925 Russia Hotel was still there along the Yegora Sazonova Street (new name for Bolshaya Uspenskaya Street), but then it was named "rooms of city management". By the end of 1930s there was no hotel, but the soft carpets still remained in the rooms, which were converted into the flats.
Before the revolution of 1917 Sakharov's heirs sold the house to merchant Sadretdin Nazirov. One of the rooms was occupied by the editor's office of Vpered newspaper, the body of Ufa united social and democratic organization. It did not help Nazirov, though: in the period from 1919 to 1923 the house was municipalized by the Soviet power. In 1930s the first floor rooms facing Uspenskaya Street (in the 30s it was named Sazonova Street, since 1937 Stalina Street) were occupied by Achilles beerhouse and grocery stores. In the postwar period one of the rooms of the first floor was used as a photographer's parlor. Other facilities were used by the military store and greengrocery, later an ice-cream parlor. Currently the first floor is occupied by the restaurants, a photographer's parlor and shops.