Valentin Novikov, Ufa Marshall of Nobility in 1868-1877, made the following note: "In 1809 with the intention to promote social benefit and juvenile education the nobility donated ten thousand rubles to build a gymnasium in Ufa. Another 1,000 rubles for the same purpose were donated by landowner (pomeshchik) Pyotr Touzakov. By subscription the noblemen collected 1,870 paper rubles and 64 silver rubles, one Prussian reichsthaler and one half-imperial (golden coin equal to 5 rubles)".
In 1820 the Gymnasium project was submitted to the construction committee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. On November 11, 1828 Ufa Boys Gymnasium was opened in the "large three-storey building with 52 rooms, located along the Ilyinskaya Street". The same year Gymnasium welcomed its first 18 students.
In 1831, though, the walls of the building started cracking, and in two years the building was dilapidating. It was acknowledged dangerous and subject to deconstruction. The building dilapidated because of the ground water being too close to the surface, that is why a new building was erected further in the yard of the former building.
In 1835 Gymnasium was reformed into a seven-class institution. In 1844 a new boarding school affiliated with Gymnasium was opened "to facilitate education of officials’ and noble children". It was ordered to send the best boarders to the University.
The lessons in the new building started already in 1844, but it was not until three years later that the building was finished. In 1852 the building was complemented with two two-storey side-wings for the headmaster, supervisor and mentors to live in.
The upper floor of the major building featured classrooms, physics laboratory, assembly hall, church and parents’ room. The first floor was comprised of classrooms, bedrooms, a recreation room, a hospital, a canteen, a cloakroom, a library and other facilities.
The Gymnasium Church of Saint Sophia the Martyr and her three daughters Faith, Hope and Love was equipped with everything necessary through the care of its ktetor Sakharov, a hereditary honorary citizen.
The major aim of the Gymnasium was to give all the necessary knowledge to pursue with higher education. Students with insufficient funds were provided with money allowance to purchase dress and stationery. In the academic year 1864/1865 the Gymnasium became a classical educational institution, because it started teaching Latin. In 1873 it became an 8-class educational institution. The students learned Russian and Old Slavonic, Latin and Greek languages, mathematics, physics, history, geography, French and German languages, calligraphy and, naturally, the law of God. Starting 1901 nature study was introduced into the curriculum, and a new naturalist room appeared in the gymnasium featuring collections of minerals, fossils, butterflies, plants and stuffed birds.
In 1887 Gymnasium started providing weather forecasts for Governorate newspaper "Ufimskiye gubernskiye novosti". For this reason Ufa Statistic Committee closed its small meteorological station.
The Boys Gymnasium existed until the Russian October Revolution, when it was reformed into Soviet School No.2, later School No.11. Since 1932 the building has been occupied by the Bashkir Medical University. In 1936 a third storey was added to the major building and side wings. Since then the building of the first Ufa gymnasium almost never changed.