On March 7, 1906 the City Duma listened to a report on opening a teachers institute in the city; whereas Ufa Governorate Assembly of the Nobility agreed to give the Ministry of Public Education the newly erected three-storey stone building on 9 Telegrafnaya Street (currently 9 Tsuryupy Street) intended for the orphanage for noble children. One may conclude, thus, that the building was constructed in 1905-1906 and featured the brick style, which was popular at the time. Moreover, minimum of decorations suggests that initially it was decided to save money on the construction, which implies that a standard (typical) project by an unknown architect was used. Staircases and supporting columns of the lobby were ordered at the Ufa plant of I. Gutman.
It was suggested that the teachers institute should provide a two-year course. The alumni were supposed to work as teachers of the Russian language, history, natural science, geography mathematics, physics and physical geography, as well as modern languages.
The opening of the Ufa teachers institute dates back to the Order of the Ministry of Public Education as of July 2, 1909 "On opening a teachers institute in Ufa". After that Ufa Marshal of the Nobility agreed to deploy the teachers institute and its school on the 1st and 3rd floors of the nobility orphanage along the Telegrafnaya Street. At the same time Ufa city duma discussed a compensation of all the expenses on preparation of the building to be occupied by the Ufa institute and school.
Among the 130 persons who have applied to study in the Ufa teachers institute in 1909, only 26 were admitted. The initial faculty of the Ufa teachers institute was minimal; a year after it was opened it still consisted of six persons.
The training time in Ufa teachers institute was three years, and it included no majors (until 1917). Those who completed the full course of the teachers institute were appointed to teach in city schools and progymnasiums all subjects but for Scripture knowledge. Some of them worked in normal schools.
The building on 9 Telegrafnaya Street had several apartments for teachers, which was reflected in the short novel "Sinyaya Govyadina" (mock name for gymnasium schoolboys) by B.D. Chetverikov. Besides, according to the reference book of 1908 it was also occupied by a private progymnasium (i.e. initial gymnasium classes) of Ovchinnikova.
In the first months after the October Revolution of 1917 the Ministry of Public Education was cancelled, and a People's Commissariat of Education of RSFSR was formed instead. Dozens of positions (honorable trustees, directors of people's schools, inspectors, supervisors, Scripture teachers), old ranks, degrees and distinctions have been set aside. A new curriculum was introduced instead. Besides, women were also admitted to obtain education in the institute. A decree "On electivity of all teaching and administration offices" was adopted.
Within ten years of its operation Ufa teachers institute trained only 150 persons, including only two Muslims. A document survived from this period in which the public education department of the Ufa city zemstvo assembly ordered its agent Kh.Sh. Yenikeyev (who, by the way, graduated from the Ufa teachers institute in 1912) to make a report for the teachers council of the institute on opening preliminary courses for "Muslims and small peoples" in accordance with the "ethnic proportionality principle".
During the Civil War almost the whole building was occupied by the infirmary. Under such conditions in 1919 the Teachers institute was transformed into the Institute of Public Education (IPE). In 1920s certain changes were introduced: the building was occupied by the polytechnical school (agricultural technical school), whereas the IPE moved to the building of the former Real School. Later the IPE was reformed into the Pedagogical Institute, which in turn was later transformed into the Bashkir State University. Afterwards the building of the Teachers Institute was occupied by various organizations. In the Soviet era the last organization to be deployed in the building was the Institute of Marxism and Leninism. Upon reconstruction the building was given to the theater and art department of the Ufa Institute of Arts.