A large two-storey building of the Governorate Zemstvo Assembly was constructed in 1880s at the north-eastern corner of the intersection of Bolshaya Ilynskaya (Validi) and Telegrafnaya (Tsuryupy) Streets in the mansion of a city hospital. Because of that many researchers believe that the hospital occupied the same building. This fact is allegedly proved by the Eclecticism architecture of the building with the elements of late Classicism. Such researchers overlook, though, the fact that the hospital had to move to a new wooden building because the former one was old and subsequently demolished.
As a result of the reforms of Alexander II a network of zemstvos (local self-government) was established in 1860-70s. Ufa Governorate Zemstvo was formed in 1875. Andrei Dashkov, a prominent public figure of Ufa Governorate of the second half of the 19th century, was the first chairman of the assembly. In many aspects zemstvo was intended to fill the gaps of the government rule. It played a significant role in the social, economic and cultural life of the governorate, uyezds and volosts (smaller districts). In particular, Ufa Zemstvo carried out agricultural, construction, enlightening, and healthcare activities in the governorate. Within almost half of a century zemstvo published more than thousand books, magazines, collections, reports and brochures.
In April-June 1891 young Chaliapin worked as a clerk in the office of Ufa governorate zemstvo, which fact he subsequently mentioned in his memoir book Pages of my Life. A. Tsuryupa, V. Kugushev, V. Ulyanov (Lenin) used to visit the building or worked there. In 1908-19 a famous Ufa photographer A. Zirakh worked in the insurance department of zemstvo.
In 1912 governorate zemstvo consisted of the following departments: agronomic, veterinary, road construction, hedge, medical, people's education, retirement, administrative, sanitary, statistical and insurance. Besides, the governorate zemstvo included a small loan office, zemstvo drug store, bacteriological institute, poorhouse, veterinary laboratory, bookstore, as well as zemstvo hospital on Dostoyevskogo Street (later Republican Hospital), somatic and psychiatric hospitals on Vladivostokskaya Street.
The corner of the building was decorated with an attic and a dormer window; the attic was framed with fences on both sides. A tent with a spire decorated the central part of the building. A very similar building (even decorations) may be found in Maykop, for example, which proves that it was a standard project made by an unknown architect. In early 20th century the building of Ufa zemstvo was extended along the Bolshaya Ilyinskaya Street featuring almost the same architectural style, which was much simpler, though. Besides, they built a brick side wing along the Telegrafnaya Street (now it is used by a shop).
Peotr Koropachinsky was the last chairman of Zemstvo (1904-1919). Since 1919 to 1941 the building was occupied by the People's Commissariat of Agriculture, the successor of one of the departments of zemstvo. Since 1940s up to the moment the building has been used by the factory evacuated during the war.
In early 1970s the building acquired a new storey and thus lost many decorating details. Several years ago, though, the previously demolished attic and dome were restored.
By the decision of the Council of Ministers of Bashkir Autonomous SSR in December 1987 the building was put under state protection as a historical and architectural landmark, which is proved by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet as of May 1992 and the Decree of the Russian President as of February 1995.