The first educational institution of Ufa opened in the 20s of the 18th century at the Ufa garrison. In this school children were taught not only reading and writing but also mathematics, fortification, and gunnery. In 1778 the school was moved to Orenburg. In the 80s of the 18th century the government ordered to establish minor people's schools (2-class institutions) and major people's schools (4-class institutions in governorate cities only). The major people's school was opened in Ufa in September 1789. It is this school that Sergey Aksakov, a famous Russian writer, used to study in. Later the writer recollected that his peers, being already punished, could play pranks behind the teacher, unafraid of being disciplined with rods. These rods caused so much distress in Sergey that his parents were afraid of letting Sergey go to the school. In 1779 the school was moved to Orenburg, whereas minor people's school was, in turn, moved to Ufa.
On December 6, 1818 minor school was reorganized into the Ufa district school with the following subjects in the curriculum: Russian, calligraphy, geography, history, arithmetic, basics of geometry, physics, and natural science, as well as Scripture knowledge.
Gymnasiums in Ufa did not open until ten more years had passed. They were intended for the nobility children to get "proper education". In gymnasiums children learnt Russian literature, geography, mathematics, physics, law, statistics, Latin, German, French, Greek, and Tatar Language (since 1853). Besides, they opened a private (since 1859) and parochial (since 1860) schools with primary education curricula. Normally the nobility educated their children at home by hiring private teachers, including those among the French.
In the early 19th century they started opening private fee-based boarding schools, for boys (Sosyonova and Gutop) and girls (Urikh, Gern, and Peutling etc). In the early 20th century primary education system was represented by the parochial schools. In 1911 there were eight such schools in Ufa. By this time district school had already been renamed into the First City 4-Class School. It still occupied the building of the mid-19th century (it can be seen on the photo of 1867) on the corner of Telegrafnaya and Pushkinskaya Streets. In this school arithmetic and geography was taught by a famous Chuvash educator and enlightener Pavel Mironov (1861-1921).
In many ways it's a Classicism building. Eclecticism, though, is also visible in the building style. It is unlikely that we shall ever find out the architect's name. Alternating straight and rectangular dripstones of the second floor windows are the building's major decoration. Unfortunately, more than one hundred years ago a half of the first floor turned out to be below the ground level due to macadamizing and aligning of Telegrafnaya and Pushkinskaya Streets.
In the Soviet age the main corner entrance was mured and even plastered. The building, though, was still used as intended: it was occupied by the 8-class (7-class school until the end of 1950s) school No.18. For some time children of primary school No.3 also studied in the building. Since 1992 the building has been used by the Pavel Mironov Chuvash Sunday School.