As early as 1879 this spot at the corner of Tyuremnaya and Telegrafnaya Streets was owned by Afanasy Yakushev. Until the late 80s of the 19th century it was the city's last quarter before the Stepnaya Square and a field with an Old Siberian Route going through it. The outskirts were not a popular place to live in. According to 1879 census only one merchant lived in the area. Nowadays it is hard to imagine, but back then there were only wooden houses in the area with only one eatery and grocery. Carpenter's workshop was the only "production facility" in the area. In 1883 there also opened Tikhonov's shoe repairman workshop in the Yakushev's house on Telegrafnaya Street.
In 1889 this land plot was owned by an accountant of the Credit Union Ivan YakushOv. Obviously, he was a nephew of Afanasy Yakushev. The spelling difference (Yakushev and Yakushov) should not bother us in this case, because it proves the claim of Ufa historian that the surname is stressed on the last syllable. The problem is that before the introduction of strict spelling rules such surnames could have two spellings. In the case of Yakushev: the correct pronunciation is Yakushyov. That is why in almost all the address calendars of the 1880s it is spelled with "o".
In accordance with 1911 reference books Ivan Yakushev, being a man of considerable age, lived on 10 Malaya Uspenskaya (Engelsa) Street. He was a Board Director of the Credit Union. His elder sons lived in the same house: Aleksandr was an accountant of a governorate treasury, whereas Vladimir was a poruchik (lieutenant) of the 190th Ochakovsky infantry regiment. It follows, thus, that the house on Telegrafnaya Street (judging by the attic it was constructed in 1905) was a tenement building. Unfortunately, we do not know who lived in it. We can't say it for sure, but according to the above mentioned Ufa historian, during the World War I the house was used by the 1st parochial school. Obviously, these were just several groups of students, who came here because of the lack of rooms. The school's official address was 9 Tsentralnaya Street. The unknown author of the project created a brick-style variant of a typical two-storey house with a blunt angle, which is so characteristic of Ufa. In this case the architect paid special attention to the decoration of windows and splendid attics. Among other decoration one may notice only a modest rustication of the building's corners and imitation of denticles under the cornice. The balcony stands out of the building's exterior.
For a long time the building was used by the pharmaceutical authorities. Later it was supplemented with the Republican Center for Prevention and Control of AIDS and Infective Disease. Unfortunately, for many years the central entrance and the balcony were closed with screens.