When in June 1922 Ufa was chosen the capital of the Republic of Bashkortostan all the administrative bodies were located in the building of the former Peasant's Land Bank (now the building of the National Museum of Bashkortostan Republic). By early 1930s industrial giants of machine engineering and oil processing, light, food and forest processing industries had been concentrated in Ufa. The administration was growing larger, and the small building did not have enough space for the Council of People's Commissariat (CPC), and the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks, and Bashkir Central Executive Committee. A tender was announced for making a project of the Government House.
The project suggested by Nikolay Lermontov contained the traits of a large-scale building: it was suggested that the facades of the House should retreat from the building lines of Sovetskaya and Pushkinskaya Streets. Admirer of classical architectural traditions, Lermontov, nevertheless, suggested that the building should be constructed in the constructivism style. In 1932, though, the party agencies instructed all the architects of the country that monumentality and extensive decorations must become the characteristics of all new buildings. Lermontov's idea, thus, was not supported.
The management of the Bashkir Autonomous SSR addressed one of the designing companies of the capital, and a group of architects headed by Nikolay Zarubin started designing the government house. By that time Zarubin had become the author of the Communication House (Ufa Post Office).
The construction of the House started in July 1934, the same year the foundation of the building was prepared. The walls were constructed in 1935, whereas the finishing of floors, roof and plasterwork was completed by the end of 1936. The commissioning of the building was impeded because of the construction of the canteen and reception hall above it. Architect Zarubin controlled the construction progress in person, and he came to Ufa twice.
The building of the Government House is perceived as a monumental one. The architect had a fresh perception of details. Finishing materials were the best of the kind. All window frames were made of oak. Detailed facades of the building allow referring the building to postconstructivism.
The rhythm of the elongated facades is due to the big and almost square window openings, accentuated with wide architraves. Tribunes were the major element giving the building its solemn look: since 1938 demonstrations have been parading in front of the tribunes.
In November 1937 during the acceptance of the Government House it was suggested to decorate it with sculptures. But it was not until summer 1952 during the formation of the architectural complex of Sovetskaya Square and demolition of houses along the odd-numbered side of Pushkina Street that the Council of Ministers of the Bashkir Autonomous SSR discussed photos of the sculptures made by young sculptor D. Fuzeev as a diploma project. The sculptor was given an individual order, but in several years the "campaign against excessiveness" cancelled these plans.
In 2008 the tribunes were demolished. The view of the building suffered a lot because of that: the wide staircase up to the main entrance is perceived as something giant and foreign. Currently the building is occupied by various executive agencies of Bashkortostan Republic.