In December 1935 a project of a new Ufa hotel by architect V. Maksimov was approved. Unfortunately, it is impossible to find out anything about Maksimov (including his first name) even though only 80 years have passed. There is an interesting coincidence, though: in early 1880s the spot at the corner of Kuznetskaya and Lazaretnaya (Cherrnyshevsky and Lenin) Streets, the same spot where the new hotel appeared in a half of a century, belonged to Vasily Maksimov. By the early 20th century the streets had already been renamed into Ufimskaya and Tsentralnaya, whereas the houses which would be knocked down to give space to the future Bashkiria hotel belonged to citizens Shalyapin, Timokhov and Ilyin.
Maksimov designed the project in line with the postconstructivism Ufa architecture of the mid-1930s. The techniques resembled those of the buildings of the Council of People's Commissars and the Communication House (Post Office). From the latter (and also from the house on 32 Karl Marx Street by B.G. Kalimullin) the architect borrowed the design of the flank's main entrance. In the case of Bashkiria Hotel, though, it is only a flank of the middle section between the longer side wings. The arrangement of the three major sections of the building is original. Nevertheless, this technique is very similar to that of the trisection commune house down the street (9 Lenin Street) and the mentioned house on 32 Karl Marx Street (besides, grouped loggias have also been borrowed from this building). The set of such borrowings is also complemented with a major entrance with a loggia and four-column portico. Even though it complies with Soviet architecture of the 1930s, it directly refers to the predecessors of the 1910s: the entrances of Aksakov People's House (Opera Theater) and Commercial School (Aviation College) with their loggias and porticos. At the same time all the mentioned architectural citations were used quite skillfully, and led to a holistic and worthy project.
The hotel took in the first guests just before the Great Patriotic War. Soon the evacuated Executive Committee of the Communist International was deployed in the building. The activists of this global communist movement worked in Ufa from October 1941 to May 1943. For a long time the large antenna of Comintern radio was rising above the hotel. In 1954 radio amateurs of the Voluntary Association for Assistance to Army, Aviation and Fleet refitted the remaining equipment into a TV studio: the first Ufa TV programs were broadcast from here.
Apart from Comintern members, other famous persons stayed in the hotel. For example, in a letter from one of the hotel's rooms as of March 1952 the Soviet pop-star of the late 1940-50s A.N. Vertinsky wrote in a humorous way that in the grocery store of the hotel you can buy only cognac and tinned foods.
The fundamental reconstruction of the hotel's building started in 1997. The project's authors took into account that the site is of architectural and historical value, so the building retained its composition with equally long facades facing Lenin and Kirov Streets. Alterations have been made only with the yard part of the building. Now it has only single and double rooms with the capacity of 214 guests. After the reconstruction the hotel was given a new name Bashkortostan.