By 1910 the houses on the odd-numbered side of Aleksandrovskaya (nowadays Karl Marks) Street between Malaya Kazanskaya (Sverdlov) and Bolshaya Uspenskaya (Kommunisticheskaya) Streets were built so close to each other that they resembled Nevsky prospect in Saint Petersburg. The sunny side of Bazarnaya Square, never ending flows of people, and many other factors made the price of land in this area quite significant. By the way, before the very early 20th century this part of the street belonged to Verkhnetorgovaya Square. Obviously, the Annunciation Monastery was the first stone building in the vicinity. All other land plots in this section of Aleksandrovskaya were owned by a certain Mikhail Kekishev. The land plot at the corner in question belonged to Pavel Tevkelev. After Kekishev's decease his heirs sold all the lands to the Zaikov brothers. In the early 20th century the Tevkekevs' estate was purchased by Sabirzyan Shamgulov.
At the turn of the 19th to the 20th century all the trade companies in Russia were multifield, i.e. one store could sell toys, clothes, gramophone records, and overshoes at the same time. But when department stores appeared in the USA and UK, similar trade houses appeared in Russia's major cities, primarily in Saint Petersburg and Moscow, as well. One of such buildings on Moscow's Nikolskaya Street was chosen by companions S. Shamgulov and the Karimov brothers as a sample. Most of the Karimov brothers' business was in Kazan; in Ufa they simply leased out property. Sabirzyan Shamgulov, though, lived in Ufa (15 Belskaya Street – nowadays Salavat Street) and even held the position of the member of Ufa City Duma. Obviously, land at the corner of Aleksandrovskaya and Bolshaya Kazanskaya Streets was contributed by Shamgulov. The building itself was built before 1910 (more likely in 1907-1908). An unknown architect from Moscow modified the project from four- to three-storey building, added attics and fences atop. It is curious that the number of windows on each floor and on both facades equals 13. Obviously, it is not a coincidence: Freemasons (and the architects who considered themselves their followers) believed that it is a magic figure.
It is interesting to look at the following pre-revolutionary advertisement: back then it unveiled only facts and no verbiage. And it emphasized the owner's name. An extract from the address calendar of 1914: "Trade house of the KARIMOV BROTHERS. Trading and major office in Kazan. Branches in Ufa and Orenburg. Ufa branch on Aleksandrovskaya Str., own house, trading various fashionable foreign made wares. Domestic and foreign perfumes. Record players. Gramophones and gramophone records. Stationeries. The department of Russian books…" The next advertisement says: "Wholesale and retail trade of fabrics, yarns; furs, cotton wool, sugar, rubber overshoes of S. SHAMGULOV. Major trading and office in Ufa at the corner of Aleksandrovskaya and Malaya Kazanskaya Streets, a separate building and a department in Guest Court". By the way, Shamgulov's business was so extensive that in 1916 he bought S. Zaikov's house and the building of Rus Hotel (nowadays Astoria), which cost 28 thousand rubles.
A century ago Ufa's citizens were amazed at the building's architecture: its huge windows and unbelievable interior volume. Before the 1940s (when the building was bleached) all the features of the brick style and Art Nouveau were explicit. In the late 1920s the building was repaired to be used by a trading organization. In the 1950s the official name of the store was as follows: "The Department Store of the General Stores of the USSR Trade Ministry". The entrance at the corner was closed, obviously, for fire safety reasons. Instead they made an entrance on the eastern façade. In 1967 they opened Ufa department store, so this department store on Karl Marks Street was often called the "old" or simply "central" department store.
In the 2000s the building suffered the so-called reconstructed. After that the parapet fence was the only decoration left. The grand staircase inside was demolished; besides, they plastered the building and added another floor.